AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pinkeye vaccination
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben
Posted 7/5/2010 15:22 (#1261411 - in reply to #1261318)
Subject: Re: pinkeye vaccination

North Mo.
Yes we do vac. cows for Colsutruim Type A. calves, 5 to 6 month old or older , 7 way and IBR, Pasturella at same time of castration fence line wean sometime after that. When ever the herd is next to a multiwire hot fence. For some reason calves 1 to 2 weeks old started scouring and dead in 24 hours. We posted after a couple years of trying normal scours treatments and found this Type A. What had me baffled this was after going to the May calving time and in the fall calving time. It seemed to hit heifers calves and cows with lower quality milk. So we started and less trouble since except for the heifers that calve a little later. Our vet says he has maybe 3 farms in his practice area that buys Type A. I haven't found it in normal channels tho I am seeing it in vet. books lately. I might give breeding shots if cows are close to a chute when its time to give them, otherwise none. Its work getting a cow herd up sorting off calves and normally yearlings at the same time. It really wears this old guy out even tho we have excellent sorting areas, this normally is just me doing it all. For example in my May June calvers I have the cow, calves and their last years calves in one mob grazing. I will sort off the yearlings this fall sell steers and a few of the heifers and go again Ben
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)