AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any Regrets
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Tom N
Posted 2/25/2007 13:04 (#110778 - in reply to #110645)
Subject: Re: Any Regrets

Missouri river bottom south of Sioux City, IA
Brian

Here is another way of looking at what is required for accuracy. It may not apply in your case but I’m sure you will not disagree with me. If your running in 30-inch rows with 18-inch tires you will only have 6 itches on each side of the tire before you run over the row. I think most of us would not want to get closer then 4 inches to the row to avoid compacting the plants root zone and running down the leafs of the corn. To meet these accuracy requirements you can’t have more the 2 inches of movement in either direction from center. Now add in a little implement drift and you can see why RTK gives you the best shot at hitting the mark. If you have the most accurate auto-guidance system, you can take a little implement drift and have it not effect you. Can you mix implement widths with SF2 and not have to worry about shift track?

I guess I’m one the other side of the fence when it comes to running in row crops with zone management (striptill, N placement, and controlled traffic). RTK is the most practical solution. I’ve run it since 2001 and have also run XP, HP plus I’ve ran in fields done with JD SF2. They are not replacements for RTK.

If RTK was available in your area for the same price as SF2 signal would you switch to it? You would have to switch brands. One Trimble RTK base would have no problem covering your 17 mile square area.

Tom
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)