AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

church manners
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tigger
Posted 2/7/2010 16:19 (#1063033 - in reply to #1062716)
Subject: RE: church manners

Iowa

People, if they go to church, tend to gravitate to the type of experience they think is right. 

Our church has gotten more casual over the years.  It used to be that any adult male would probably be wearing a suit.  Now, some show up in blue jeans (not torn up and bleached) and dress shorts if it is really hot in the summer.  Everyone used to tuck their shirts in at the very least, but I guess that is no longer in style for some.  Still, I very seldom see anyone showing up in something totally offensive.    Everyone, young and old, rich or poor, tends to be on their best behavior.  I guess we like to give each other the impression we are like that the rest of the week as well.:)

This is a small congregation.  We have a traditional service.  Attendance was over 100 about 30 years ago, but is around 50 today.  We share a pastor now.  The long list of reasons why this is happening would be another thread by itself.  The churches that are growing are closer to population centers. While some remain traditional others practice a whole different type of service, and do other things like have a Sunday school sort of program for the children while the parents go to the adult service.  Some offer an in house day care program during the rest of the week as well.  Our small town congregation does not have the resources to offer the same.  Even if we did, our location and population base would not be in our favor.  

Sometimes there is talk about making some contempoary changes, but the reality is that we will only tweak somethng here or there.  We are a traditional congregation and do not have the resources or the inclination to change.  Oddly enough, we still seem to pick up a new family with children who seem to like it that way.  Some also drift away to seek the bigger churches in the next town or the larger towns 40 miles away.  I like the traditional service with the children in the pews and parents working hard to keep them on their best behavior.  There just seems to be a lot of value in that experience.  Some parents would probably like to wack me on the head for even thinking that way.:)   

Still, things get to a point where it is difficult to keep even a traditional church viable with a small membership.  The same people end up filling all the volunteer positions and do not often get a break.  It would be nice for the children if they had more classmates in Sunday School and Confirmation.  If ours closes, it will not be the first.  In any case, its influence will continue in the lives of its members.          

Edited by tigger 2/7/2010 16:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)