AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cpvc or copper or pex
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 2/1/2010 07:21 (#1052156 - in reply to #1051925)
Subject: RE: Their problem was..........

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
Their problem is from a faulty T.P. (Temp. relief valve.) on the hot water heater. Also they should install a expansion tank in the system. I used to have the hot water heaters in the milk barn build too much pressure over a few years, bulge tank, it would pull pipe nipples together on top of the tank. Then go to leaking along the seams. When I put a expansion tank in system it quit doing that to them.

I wouldn't use anything but Pex here, we have hard water, it tears gal. pipe up, even copper over the years starts to corrode some. You can go two ways with Pex, you can put in the manifold system, or cut and tee lines. As with any plumbing, I would do a pressure check on all pipes, before adding water( if doing a total remodel or new home).

The only failure I've had in a Pex system was in my new home, the fitting coming out of the wall, for shower head had a pin hole in it. It passed a pressure check, but over time using the shower about ten times it went to leaking. Water ran down to basement ceiling in basement bathroom. My son noticed the tape joint starting to loosen. Just had to replace the fitting. That could have happened with any piping Galv., Cpvc, Copper, Pex.

Most all plumbers I know that were dyed in the wool copper men, have went to Pex here. Cpvc is okay, but you should use the right glue( also new, and don't let it freeze and try to use it). Take the time and primer joints correctly, and hold glue joint before letting it go. All the failures, I've seen in PVC is from poor installation of fittings.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)