AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

checkbook balancing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tigger
Posted 1/30/2010 10:44 (#1049087 - in reply to #1048275)
Subject: RE: checkbook balancing

Iowa

I keep a running checkbook balance on my check stubs, but it is not accurate to the penny.  Its only purpose is to provide a ballpark number close enough to keep me from bouncing checks.

The accounting I do is monthly when the bank statements come (except for the end of fiscal year).  That way, there are no checks or receipts in transit to increase the possibility of error.  I only need to be aware of what is in transit, but do not need to record what is in transit on a monthly basis.  If your circumstances require the books to be maintained daily, you don't have the option of waiting for bank statements.  My accounting program tracks the checking account balance as well as monthly receipt and disbursement totals.  That narrows any problems down to receipts or disbursements if something does not match.  Not doing the books while I'm sleepy also reduces the possibility of errors.

Like mentioned above, bank numbers need to match actual amounts on checks.  I used to write the checks for one of the local organizations.  The person who records the checks mistook a seven for a three or something like that, resulting in an error.  Poor pennmanship can result in problems like that.

Sometimes I can look at the same mistake the same way over and over without seeing it.  My CPA often looks through a list of numbers in reverse order the second time.  Mixing things up a little seems to help shine the light on an error.

There are few things in life that bring a sense of relief and joy to me like having the accounts balance.  That's probably because there are few things that drive me nuts like accounts that do not balance.  The big one is at the end of the year when all the journal entries are complete, financial statements look right, and the basic accounting equation balances.  It's a moment of pure joy.  My wife was a bit alarmed by the scream from the other end of the house.  A bottle of wine was soon empty. I don't even like wine, but it there and sure went down well at the time!  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)