AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

oldskool
Posted 4/8/2024 15:44 (#10699404 - in reply to #10699101)
Subject: RE: Cattle

Can’t say I care for the pack as they’ve been ruthless in their methods to make profits. Many times at cow/calf producers expense. However, it doesn’t hurt my feelings to see hobby herders liquidating their herds either. Between the lack of facilities and inbreeding that takes place, it’s a tossup between their product and those being imported from south of the border.

As for this idea that we need a certain $/hd year in year out, you’re dreaming. Like every other commodity there are good years and bad years. Last year was good, if this year turns out better, awesome! Take the extra to get your operation in a position to ride out the bad years coming. If you don’t like the idea of a down market coming, probably a good time to get out of the business on a high note.

One other tidbit, this cow herd will expand faster than a person thinks. Look back to 2014, I know at least 5 producers in my area that kept back every heifer last fall. Doesn’t take many producers doing that to expand the herd.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)