AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Honeycrisp apples
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

junk fun
Posted 3/24/2024 17:15 (#10678286 - in reply to #10677373)
Subject: RE: Honeycrisp apples

Wisconsin
PeteMN - 3/23/2024 23:15

Many people have gotten used to seeing apples available year around and don't realize they may be buying fresh local fruit one time and be buying something that has been grown somewhere else and stored for 6 months the next time. I think stores do themselves, their local suppliers, and their customers a great dis-service if they don't mention which fruit is in season and freshly picked.

Six months??? I thought they stored them a lot longer than that. Seems like back in the 90's I'd see a lot of New Zealand apples in the spring and summer, but I haven't seen them lately, or apples from anywhere else in the southern hemisphere. When it gets to July and August and I'm buying Michigan or WA or WI apples of most varieties, they've been stored close to 12 months, and if you get them in Sept and Oct and they're not fresh, some are still last years, as far as I know. It's not like they're going to throw them out if they can still sell. I agree it would be nice to know which year they grew in.

I'm not a honeycrisp fan, good ones are fine, maybe a little too sweet and bland. Bad ones are awful, soft and sickly with bad water core. Remember when we were kids and red delicious was the best tasting apple? was that because our taste buds were stronger then, or were the apples better also?

Edited by junk fun 3/24/2024 17:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)