AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Not Too Bad For Trailer Trash Genetics?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

53Skywagon
Posted 3/12/2024 01:40 (#10662051 - in reply to #10661726)
Subject: RE: Not Too Bad For Trailer Trash Genetics?

Steer looks good!

I had to laugh at your title, we run a small operation and sell replacement heifers and production based show steers to local 4-H and FFA kids, but also have some fringe stuff.

Case in point, not my best decision but after losing a calf at birth picked a Holstein/angus heifer up from my buddy’s dairy and brought her back to graft. That went sideways and my daughter ended up with a bottle calf “pet”. Kicked her out in the herd and AI bred her in second calf to Deer Valley Growth Fund. Holy crap. That steer was pushing 750 lbs running on California winter pasture with no supplementation. Couldn’t send him to sale barn with other odds and ends because he outweighed them by 125 lbs. He went into the freezer beef program, we set 17 mos as minimum age to ensure enough marbling, but I’m guessing he will top 1000+ on the rail in 2 weeks.

This is my first foray in to feeding anything with Holstein genetics, and even though it’s only 1/4, I’m still a little nervous about finish. He’s got a good start at brisket fill, but nothing close to what I’m used to. Other finish telltales look decent, but not like what our Ang/Simang and BWF usually produce and deliver in 16 months for the show ring.

For you guys with Holstein genetics in the pedigree, do you look for different telltales when they are finished high choice/prime? This carcass is sold already but don’t want to shortchange my customers, even if he is 1050+ on the rail.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)