AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any guilt of selling inherited property versus renting when retired?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

redoak
Posted 3/5/2024 07:38 (#10652097 - in reply to #10651740)
Subject: RE: Any guilt of selling inherited property versus renting when retired?

sw ontario
swne - 3/4/2024 21:57

I understand the sentimental side of these questions but in the end, does it really matter? Let someone who wants it, possibly someone young and starting out have it to enjoy.
If we all kept our land forever we would be the reason our ancestors moved out of Europe. Real Estate was held by large landlords and the peasants had no way to ever get a piece of their own. We should not let the same thing happen here. Although it sure appears we may be headed that way.
Look at it as a business decision. Businesses come and go. Why not land?

Good post. Not impossible ,but just about. If some land owners and Dad had not given me help yrs. ago I never would have owned land or farmed . Locally , other than a few rich businessmen who tried farming for a few yrs. then got bored idk any new farmers that started on there own and I am 71.

Concentration of land ownership , investors puts us back like you said to the Europeon model and why our Ancestors moved (mine in 1634)

50 yrs. ago around me pretty much everybody farmed & had a job . Now a handful farms everything. In the county we had 20 or so serious hog producers, now 3 and soon 1 as only my Son is staying in hogs......

Dad's friend out west probably 30 yrs. ago said the most he missed in his neighbourhood was having neighbours as big farms,not families
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)