AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is anyone but me tired of mud?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Swenny79
Posted 1/29/2024 14:57 (#10599298 - in reply to #10596207)
Subject: RE: Is anyone but me tired of mud?

Concordia, KS
I'm 39, we just came through the worst drought I ever remember, and the old timers say its the worst they have ever seen. We had a few little showers that made stuff muddy in December, and got close to 1 inch of rain in several shots. Then we got close to 10 inches of snow in several shots on top of that. Gravel roads are a mess, mud roads are darn near impassible without a tractor. Cattle are in mud. Wheat has standing water in places where the frost isn't out and nowhere for the water to go.

I'm trying really hard to be thankful for the moisture but I'm tired of the mud, snow, drifting snow, Arctic blasts, drifting snow again, gelling tractors, and now mud battle. I'm thankful we aren't calving yet. This moisture means we will have brome to turn cows into early, and that's a huge blessing because feed supplies are tight and I should have chopped more corn. I didn't and its my fault but I'm thankful we have small pastures to go piecemeal pairs out to early after calving. After a month of this battle I'm very tired/frustrated/done with it all.

I've heard several times on here if you curse the moisture you have never been through a real drought, and I can sympathize either way. If you cattle guys in the I states deal with this every year, I don't fault you for grain farming only. In winters like this I don't know how my Dad and Granddad did this stuff without fenceline bunks/front wheel assist tractors and the gear we have now. Its a daily internal battle to remind myself to be grateful and not mad at the damn mud, because lots of good will come from it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)