AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is anyone but me tired of mud?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 1/27/2024 19:27 (#10596718 - in reply to #10596207)
Subject: RE: Is anyone but me tired of mud?

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
I feel for you guys dealing with mud. No way could our country handle the amount of moisture you get. I envy the forage you can grow without irrigation. We struggle with sub par crops with irrigation and dealing with drought all the time. I remember my grandfather telling me about hand digging springs out to try and provide drinking water for his sheep. I still use those springs to this day. I also worked on them in my lifetime, but with a backhoe.

I remember him telling me how he watched the ecosystem he ranched in his lifetime. How it changed three times, one of the big differences was the species of small and big game. Everything each generation has down has benefited the land and ecosystem. This website has allowed me to learn how to guys farm and take care of your animals. However each geographical area has its own challenges.

I honestly have seen with my own eyes the need for housing for livestock in a lot of areas. We are pushed to feed more people with less land every year. Our agricultural people have risen to the challenges and road blocks put forth by our government to do so.

This mud will soon pass, and there will be something else causing sleepless nights. The reason for the sleepless nights is because we care about our livestock and land. I just want to tell you there is a lot in your areas to be thankful for. You guys have great markets to sell crops and livestock. Rainfall, growing seasons.

Keep the pictures coming be it mud, snow or great growing crops. I'm glad when you guys do great, because when you do good it trickles down to us. Be it better markets or used equipment when you trade that we can afford to buy. I've got a great neighbor that is reaching the later part of his life, his health is not good. It's a day by day deal. The other day he fell in small bathroom. His wife couldn't get him up, she called and I got there in under 3 minutes. Hard to see a person that used to be 6'3" and twisted steel. Today just maybe 100 lbs., but still has a smile and joked with me while I helped him get up and dressed.

I spent a lot of time with him the last 34 years, learned a lot from him. One thing I'll never forget was him telling me. Kid I sure like it when you do good. Because it rubs off and down to me and I do better myself. I've watched his family screw him over, but he kept going.

So tomorrow's going to be a better day, because we're getting closer to spring. Mud's not going way for some here. But it will, trust me.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 1/27/2024 19:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)