AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What happens if you take calves to sale with rotting nuts?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 1/18/2024 08:08 (#10580388 - in reply to #10580318)
Subject: RE: Henderson tool = abscesses

western iowa,by Denison
Baby Robin - 1/18/2024 07:32

garvo - 1/17/2024 21:29

spin them-as a cattle feeder _I really try to educate, but time after time these post's come up,seems the biggest problem i have feeding steers is banding-Learn how to use this method,faster return on your dollar-every time!I pay more for knife cut-Damit! You deserve a beating at the market

I paid for my Henderson tool merit badge. After 2 years and seeing scrotal abscesses in 1 out of every 5 cut/spun bulls, I told the vet to trash that f’n thing. Iowa green and gold tag program requires the vet to recheck each cut bull to make sure it is indeed a steer which is something that most feedlots probably do not do after they spin a group of bulls.

Hair and dirt gets wrapped up as the cord gets spun. And, that abscess puss is the absolute stinkiest and stickiest stuff to get on boots, clothes, and your skin. And, you as the cow-calf guy gets to treat with consecutive rounds of antibiotics.

Henderson tool is the expensive Agtalk lesson I have ever had to pay (on the StockTalk side at least)

I asked my vet-he has probably done around 5,000 bulls a year-he showed me how to do it,theres a learning curve-on 300 bulls at neighbors we had zero issues
You need to talk to my vet,we cut a little different,last year we did 15 800# calves that came from a banding operation,the one shoved up nut in 10 of them suck
your vet is clearly doing something WRONG
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)