AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Home schooling curriculum
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

kipps
Posted 1/13/2024 22:43 (#10572867 - in reply to #10572819)
Subject: RE: Home schooling curriculum

Madison Co. Virginia
Brown Cow - 1/13/2024 23:05

You write what you read. I'm convinced the best way to teach spelling and grammar is to encourage reading. Growing up we had probably 2-3,000 different books in the house, and with no TV and little or no internet access one popular pastime if you didn't want to read a book was to pull out an encyclopedia and browse through it. Most of us learned to read at more or less the normal time, maybe 5 or 6, and progressed very quickly. One brother just refused to read until he was 9, and then read The Hobbit as his first book.

I agree, that prolific reading is the best way of learning spelling and grammar. I think there's still a place for formal spelling and grammar education, but it's not all-important. Similarly, the best way of learning science and social studies is through prolific reading. But a child will cherry-pick what they read and learn based on their interests, so there is still significant value in a formal science and social studies program.

I grew up in a family of six siblings. We would come home from our biweekly library trips with fifteen books on each of six library cards. That was in addition to a home library of a thousand books or so.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)