AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making a round bale feeder
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

WCWI
Posted 1/11/2024 08:11 (#10567812 - in reply to #10567790)
Subject: RE: Making a round bale feeder

The sucker rod I have used seems to be higher carbon then regular steel so it tends to crack along the weld so yes need to find a different way to fasten it then just a weld. There are better bale feeders made that will last, but farm stores do not carry them, yes they have become more expensive but what has not? If you are going to make them I would go to pipe for the slant bars or square tubing. The other thing is if you are making feeders the top of the hole needs to be higher, I have went the Diamond Bar feeders and they are 52 -54 inches tall and over time the cows have learned to put their head in and stay in to eat better, not saying they do not pull out hay, but it is far less then the used to with the 4 foot high feeders. The Diamond Bar also have 3/16th plastic for a skirt riveted on, I was kind of nervous about that and a friend of mine says you have been to alot of auction and seen a lot of those cheap reed bunks, is the plastic ever shot? , You know I can not recall the plastic ever being the issue, it may not be shaped or still in where it should be, but never cracked.

Full Disclosure, I do sell Diamond Bar and Best.

Edited by WCWI 1/11/2024 08:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)