AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making a round bale feeder
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 1/11/2024 05:54 (#10567593 - in reply to #10567534)
Subject: RE: Making a round bale feeder

SE Manitoba
pharmer - 1/11/2024 03:32

I'm looking at making a round bale feeder. I don't have a pipe bender so looking at making a feeder like this for 5' wide round bales.

I have had trouble in the past with getting Sucker rod to weld and stick to oil field pipe (2 3/8").

For the "slant" sucker rods, do you think it would be beneficial to actually cut holes in the horizontal pipe and stick the sucker rods into the pipe to assist in keeping the sucker rods from the welds breaking or is this going to cause other problems?

Any other advice or templates of bale feeders you have made?

This is what we are thinking of making .

You may have a batch of especially dirty oilfield pipe (there is a very wide range of the stuff - - - some of it has been sitting in high sulphur slat water for its previous life!!).
What usually works is running 7018 and make sure you're running hot.
If that doesn't help then you have some very very dirty stuff.
Then your only recourse is to use a torch to cut holes in both members (top and bottom) and your sucker rod chunk needs to be long enough to sit all the way down in the bottom pipe and still stick into the top pipe by I would suggest 1/2.
Would also suggest that you use 1" sucker rod - - - that puchy old cow will bend your 3/4" rod all too quickly and then it will want to fall out and replacing it - - not so much fun!

Be interesting to hear how you make out.

HTH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)