AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What was your first precision ag/variable rate project
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/6/2024 07:50 (#10559890 - in reply to #10559067)
Subject: RE: What was your first precision ag/variable rate project

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I worked for a local spray dealer way back when. The business had a booth at a farm show in Minneapolis which we attended. Al Meyers himself was at his booth showing off his Ag Leader YM-2000 yield monitor. My Boss was impressed and became an Ag Leader dealer.

Since I was farming with my Dad and Brother, I purchased a YM-2000 for the Deere 7720 combine we were using at the time. I think I purchased either the second or third one that my Boss sold.

It was used for Yield Monitoring only. Later Ag Leader started producing the PF3000 yield monitor which was able to do onscreen mapping and had some other features. This was available on a limited basis for harvest that year. Since the wiring was the same as the YM-2000, it was easy to swap the displays. I was impressed with it and purchased the PF3000 and have had Ag Leader displays ever since.

After the PF3000 and Advantage, Ag Leader went the CAN route which uses a display and various modules throughout the machine. I had traded combines at the time and it was a good opportunity to switch to the CAN arrangement with an Insight. I used the Insight for yield monitoring in the combine but gradually expanded its use to working with a sprayer, NH3 bar and also our planter.

We then got a larger tractor so I needed another display. The Integra was current at that time so I purchased one of them. Later Ag Leader had some trade-up programs which led to my current holdings of 3 InCommand 1200s, 2 - GPS 6500s and a GPS 7500. I have the legacy SteerCommand on two older Deere 8xxx, Steer Command Z2 on the 8310R and Steady Steer on the Deere 9770 combine.

So all in all, it has been a long and usually enjoyable experience with Ag Leader products. Had I not been associated with the dealer, I'm certain my story would have been much different.

I too, have a box of old cables. I'm presently switching to a somewhat newer Hagie sprayer and will be using my original Liquid Product Control Module and Auxiliary Input Module with one of my first display cables so I've gotten good service out of many of them.

As far as the original posts theme of variable rate, even with all the Ag Leader equipment I have and the ability to variable rate with some of it, I haven't done any at all.

Edited by tedbear 1/6/2024 08:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)