AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What was your first precision ag/variable rate project
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

golfnut
Posted 1/5/2024 15:30 (#10559067)
Subject: What was your first precision ag/variable rate project

Central Nebraska

I've spent the past few days cleaning out my parts/storage room.  When I moved into it last winter I just tossed boxes on the shelves and forgot about it.  This afternoon I threw away lots of old harnessing from previous projects and machines that no longer exist.  It got me thinking about the first time I attempted a variable rate project.

I think it was about 2006 or 2007. We already had autosteer on a tractor with a Trimble FMD.  Our NH3 applicator was controlled by a Hiniker controller and NH3 prices were at record prices.  We figured that by simply variable rate applying our dryland pivot corners at a lower rate we could justify the cost of setting it up.  I remember spending hours in the tractor trying to get the two boxes to talk, only to find out we needed a null modem adapter cable.  Sounds simple now but it was sure frustrating then! Especially when nobody wanted to support what I was attempting!  I also recall the frustrations I had with AgLeader SMS and trying to create prescription maps.  Oh the memories!

How did your first time go?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)