AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low carb diet still working!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Skyhighballoon(MO)
Posted 11/28/2023 16:47 (#10501003 - in reply to #10499903)
Subject: RE: Low carb diet still working!

Pilot Grove, Missouri
John - thankfully I never progressed as far as you did. I always had borderline high fasting glucose from my 30's on. My first A1C was in 2018 and it was 6.0 back then. I basically blew it off and didn't do much about it. I told myself I was eating better than many but I was really addicted to carbs. Not as much on the sugar side but savory starches (bread, pasta, crackers, chips, etc) were my weakness and addiction.

I had not been tested or been to the doctor from summer 2018 until the spring of 2022 after he insisted I come in after bad case of Delta in late 2021. I was also taking supplemental D3, E and C at the time and my A1C was 8.3 after my visit in 22. He wanted to put me on metformin and I told him I wanted to try low carb first. He also dismissed the impact of the C & E supplements that's documented to elevate your A1C but I don't agree with his thinking there, my guess was that was at least one point worth of the 8.3. The first 3 months I was stricter and was probably 50 grams or less and I went to 5.8. I'm pretty sure both the doctor and dietician were shocked that I was able to do it. After that first 3 months, I relaxed it SLIGHTLY with the 50-70 grams per day range and many days I'm still under 50. But I did have an occasional meal out eating "normal" with some carbs (but not over indulging). It's stayed 5.8 the next two tests every 6 months until it dropped to 5.7 this round.

As you point out, I will not achieve ketosis at my carb level. My goal was just to get my A1C under control and the fact that I've lost about 35 lbs has been a bonus. What I am doing is sustainable for me long term and getting another 0.1 point or more to 5.6 or less just to say I'm "normal" and not pre-diababetic is just an arbitrary line created by the medical field. I don't think it will have a measurable impact on my long term health. Longer term, if it creeps back up, I got lowering my carbs under 50 as spare ammo before having to add metformin or some other drug.

I understand where you were coming from and needing to go to around 20 grams given you were on insulin for years. I applaud you for what you have achieved as your accomplishment has been an inspiration for me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)