AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low carb diet still working!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 11/27/2023 20:38 (#10499903 - in reply to #10499286)
Subject: RE: Low carb diet still working!

Pittsburg, Kansas

Back home now so can pay a little better attention.

Triglycerides and HDL both moving in the right direction. From what I have recently learned, LDL is basically meaningless as far as longevity goes and hardly has any meaning concerning heart health. People over 60 with high cholesterol on average live longer than people with lower cholesterol levels. More than one scientific study has shown this.

I'm definitely not on a carnivore diet, but more carnivorish than a couple years ago. I still have some vegetables but pretty minimal. For example for supper on the road tonight at Braums I had a triple third pound cheeseburger with no bun, no sauce and no mayo. Plus another patty from my wife's so 4 1/3# hamburger patties, two or three slices of American cheese, a little bit of lettuce, a little bit of onion and two slices of tomato. That is pretty typical for me eating out at a hamburger joint. If I was pure carnivore I would only eat the hamburger patties and the cheese. But I'm not that strict. At home about the only vegetables we keep around and eat are onions (my wife loves onions), olives (black and green), avocado's, sauerkraut and sour pickles. My wife on rare occasions will use a little tomato paste in some dishes but very limited amounts as nightshade vegetables make her feel less than ideal. She might have a slice of tomato once in a while but she knows it when she does. That is odd because we used to raise and eat lots of tomato's. For some reason as she has aged, they just don't agree with her any more. Don't have any reasoning why. She still loves the taste of them, just feels better when she stays away from them.

Ok, I am rambling. More than you ask for.

If you want to get your A1C down below pre-diabetic levels (under 5.6) you might consider going a little lower on the carb count. For a diabetic it usually takes down to about 20-25 grams of carbs daily to get into nutritional ketosis and for a non-diabetic (more metabolically healthy) often under 50 total grams a day will get them there. There are some other health benefit advantages to being into nutritional ketosis at least part of the time. Plus the weight loss will come on faster because the body is burning mostly fat for fuel for energy. Being in nutritional ketosis will really help with the insulin resistance and overall metabolic health.

A ketogenic diet is a low carb diet but a low carb diet is not necessarily a ketogenic diet. A ketogenic diet is basically a VERY low carb diet. Carb ingestion so low the body has to switch over to burning mostly fat for fuel. That fat can come from eating the fat or stored body fat.

Edited by John Burns 11/27/2023 21:40

(20231127_173950 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20231127_173950 (full).jpg (115KB - 55 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)