AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low Carb snacks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 7/30/2023 21:15 (#10337967 - in reply to #10337681)
Subject: 100 grams or 20 grams of carbs a day???

Pittsburg, Kansas

Not to all of us. I ate some peanut butter early on when starting low carb. I do not any more.

A lot depends on how low carb a person is trying to go. At 100 grams a day total carbs a person can have quite a few things that a person shooting for 20 grams carbs a day can not. 100 grams a day is probably a reasonable amount for about anybody that is metabolically healthy and not trying to lose weight (standard American diet is more like 300 grams a day). If a person is metabolically healthy some can achieve ketosis at around 50 grams a day. A person who is metabolically compromised like a diabetic, pre-diabetic or even just insulin resistant probably needs to be down to 20 grams a day or less. That is what I shoot for, 20 grams or less. Things like low carb wraps and bread can add up pretty fast. Some people and even low carb gurus will talk about "net carbs" which discounts the fiber. But all the doctors I listen to say ignore the net carbs and use total carbs when figuring the amount of carbs consumed.

That all said, wife and I do not count carbs any more. Actually we kind of never did, but what we did do early on was just look up what the carb count was for different foods. Zero carb stuff we ate all we wanted basically (meat, etc), the high carb stuff we cut completely out (bread, potatos, etc) and the medium carb stuff we limited it to small portions. Once we kind of got a handle on the carb count of different foods (maybe the first three months) we just estimate it now and don't really count. We just try to eat under what we think would be 20 grams worth (total for the day). Often times much less than that. Some meals zero carbs.

It all depends on a persons metabolic health when they start and what their particular goals are. For example a person eating low carb for weight loss might be very different than a person eating a low carb ketogenic diet to control epilepsy or for cancer treatment improvement. Even weight loss might be different for a person needing to lose 150 pounds compared to a person wanting to lose 20. It just depends on a persons needs and goals.

Edited by John Burns 7/31/2023 06:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)