AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Eating only beef
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cfdr
Posted 7/22/2023 19:27 (#10327391 - in reply to #10326813)
Subject: RE: Stress and retirement

Talking about the oil fields - and stress - one winter there was nothing going on in oil exploration in the Alaskan arctic. I came in out of the bush where I had spent the summer, and this was the only job I could find. I was lucky that i had good friends who found this one for me. This short clip shows accurately what it was like at that time over fifty years ago:

https://www.revolver.news/2023/02/fascinating-clip-reveals-intense-d...

We were handling eight foot sections of reverse circulation drill stem with a none hundred CFM (as I remember) air compressor. One day (at a balmy minus 30 degrees) we made three trips from 200 feet deep. I made $1800 a month (at $3.50/hour). Like I said, I needed the money. (g)

After ten years up there, I returned to the tranquility of the farm - up to my eyeballs in debt just as high-teens interest hit. The banker one day told me that he really should sell me out, as there was no way that I could make it. My situation is similar to yours, John. I have to say that retirement doesn't feel bad - even though I still return every fall to run the combine for my brother.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)