AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Investing 401/IRA help.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

martin
Posted 12/30/2022 21:20 (#10012885 - in reply to #10010964)
Subject: RE: Investing 401/IRA help.

Lone Cedar's comments about Edward Jones got my memory working... when I was a young guy, I started an account with Edward Jones. My goal was not retirement, but more towards saving towards buying a home.  As I recall, it seems like the agent was doing a lot of selling and buying - churning is what I would call it. I finally decided to take my money elsewhere.  

I had a friend who had a New York Life agent start him up with an IRA through New York Life.  I did the same.  Initially, I started with a Traditional IRA - with mutual funds.  Later, I started Roth IRAs thru New York Life.   Later yet, I started Roth IRA thru Vanguard.  I converted some of the dollars in my Traditional IRA into Roth, but not all of it. So, I have one Traditional IRA mutual fund; and several Roth mutual funds. Both New York Life and Vanguard have Age-Targeted Mutual Funds. I don't use them. I pick the funds that I want to invest in, to get the portfolio fund mix that I want.

Regarding 401K... I think you have to be an employee - to have a job - to invest in a 401K.

You need to have income to invest in a IRA.  It can be self-employment income.  That is where a IRA fits a self-employed person, and a 401K does not. I think I am right on that.

The IRS website has information on Retirement Plan types.   There are SEP Plans, and SIMPLE Plans.  I've wondered if I should have gone that route.  But I haven't. A IRA or a Roth IRA is probably most restrictive on how much you can invest. IF you go the SEP or Simple Plan route, I think you can invest more.  Maybe there is someone who has these types of Plans can add their two cents.

Someone above mentioned investing in land.  I think there is wisdom in that.  Right now it is going to give you a better return than investing in the Stock Market. 

Edited by martin 12/30/2022 21:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)