AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Investing 401/IRA help.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

farmtech2000
Posted 12/29/2022 21:18 (#10010964)
Subject: Investing 401/IRA help.

IL
I’m 21, and currently farming around 500 acres. I just graduated college, and don’t currently have a job. I may, try to do some farming, and haul a little grain for this next spring and help dad get crops in.. and begin looking for a job while doing it. However, if something comes up, and I don’t end up getting an off farm job I’d like some advice on investing and my retirement. What does everyone here use to save/invest. I realize some guys don’t, and they say they’ll make better investments in their farm and land then others can do with there money.. which is fine, but I definitely want to have something else as a back up. I understand exponential growth, and the importance of beginning at a young age, ex. 21, versus “investing in my farm” and at age 30 realizing, it’s not working and then wanting to begin investing/saving. How do I go about it, do I simply reach out to a business like Edwards Jones, or do I try to find a more local business? Do I look into Roth IRA, Traditional IRA, 401k? I’m not familiar with the differences and thought I would ask some other self employed individuals how they feel about it.

*I had a college professor who wanted us to play around with stock investing, so he asked us each to download Robinhood and give it a try with at least $20. This was in ‘20.. had only I known to put more money into my Robinhood account when things really hit the fan. My 571% overall return looks great, until I look back at being a broke college kid and only putting in $200. I had fun then, but don’t expect to have the time and discipline to research and manage my own.. so this is why I’m coming to you all.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)