AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

new range -Induction vs LP
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

lexionpa
Posted 12/26/2022 13:46 (#10005351 - in reply to #10003873)
Subject: RE: new range -Induction vs LP

NE Missouri
We needed a new stove for our new house and bought an induction stove in April because my wife does a bit of canning and had heard that they are the fastest. That is correct, it is very fast. We timed it heating a kettle of water to 210 degrees (using a candy thermometer to check the temperature). Also timed a conventional electric smoothtop in our garage, and the gas stove that was in our old house, using the same kettle. If I remember correctly, the induction took 9 minutes, smoothtop took 14 minutes, and the gas took 16 minutes. And later we figured out that the induction was set on high but also had a power boost feature that would have made it faster yet.

I also think it is safer. As soon as we pulled the boiling kettle off, I checked the burner temp with a temp gun, it was 200 degrees. You can touch the surface briefly and you might say ouch and jerk a little. You can actually boil water with a paper towel or newspaper between the kettle and burner. Amazes friends who have never heard of one before. When I checked the temp of the electric smoothtop, it was almost 600 degrees. Don’t even think of touching that, even briefly.

It is easier to keep clean because spilled food does not sizzle and burn fast.

The bad stuff: some of our kettles didn’t work, the biggest deal was her aluminum pressure canner. We had to get one that looked exactly the same but was made to use with induction. I believe as it gets more popular, more new kettles will work.
Touch controls, I don’t know why they all have this, rotary knobs are so much easier. Maybe I do know why. When you take the kettle off, it senses that and will turn the burner off after a little. It couldn’t do that with rotary knobs.
It does make a humming noise, not loud enoug to bother me but could annoy some people.
Long story short, after using it for half a year, my wife would not be happy to go back to a conventional smoothtop or a gas stove.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)