AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building organic matter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

otteb
Posted 8/6/2022 10:38 (#9783101 - in reply to #9783007)
Subject: RE: Building organic matter

SC Kansas
Good luck. I’m also in SC Kansas and have very similar soils it sounds. I tried this test years ago ….. go to a local old area cemetery and take a couple soil samples. My local church had a cemetery area well over 110 years old with no tillage or disturbed soil. Grass only. Interesting that the organic matter of those cemetery samples were the exact same OM as our field samples from within that same 35 acres. No one has completely explained this without questioning the testing process itself. This told me a few things. The organic matter of that soil was built over 1000s of years or 10s of thousands of years or more. Probably way more. Only humans have the arrogance to think they can significantly move the needle long term on a number like OM. In my opinion the seed technology has accounted for 98% of the increased fall crop yields and residue management. Our soils are heavy clay and very low in OM. That’s just the way it is. Some will flame away but manipulative/shallow sampling happens by some neighbors and they crow about their organic matter but if I pull a sample off their fields in the same way I do mine…….. their numbers are the same as mine. Low.
Good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)