AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building organic matter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

easymoney
Posted 8/6/2022 08:18 (#9782914 - in reply to #9782655)
Subject: RE: Building organic matter

ecmn
W85 - 8/5/2022 23:31

Dryland farming in SC Kansas, 35-40 inches annual rainfall, a lot of the organic matter levels in the area run from 1.5 to 2.5 percent. If I am wanting 3.5 to 4 percent levels what would be the best way to do this? Thanks!

To move two points is a massive change. I would not worry about increasing organic matter that much or the number itself would not be that important. I would just do the practices that improve your soil. If you have that much rain a year you just build a soil profile that can handle the rain and hold as much water as possible. My soil is far from healthy and functioning as where I wanted but I can see that from where I was a few years ago it's a great Improvement. I'm still having some learning curves and issues once in awhile. But I no longer need primary tillage, I use a lot less Fungicide and insecticide and I used to, I use a tremendously less amount of fertilizer. I have no need for tile anymore. It is very cool to see how greatly we have reduced wind and water erosion, and how much less water is leaving the farm
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)