AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Selling beef privately
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 6/11/2022 08:21 (#9700245 - in reply to #9700174)
Subject: RE: Selling beef privately

western iowa,by Denison
hydro70guy - 6/11/2022 07:27

I was going to buy some beef from a local producer and wondering how you guys that sell some that way do it. They gave me a price/pound and said what locker it was going to. I then asked if processing was included in price, they said no. I called and got price. Then I asked if price was live weight or dressed? They said it was live weight. Then I got to figuring it and it was going to cost me over $6.00 a pound which to me was to much. Which was no problem I just said I would pass and they come back to me and tell me it is not much and the price will be going higher soon and that is what all the farmers are selling it for.

So those that sell beef do you sell live or processed weight?
Do you include processing in cost or have purchaser deal with locker?
How does locker like dealing with all these separate customers for the beef you are having processed? I would think it a pain for them.

You need to buy your own calf and feed it out for your meat consumption-600# steer today-around $1200-add about $1.60 cost of gain per # to get to 1400# or around $1280 to put on 800# will get you to $2480-haul to locker and slaughter and process for $1400-then hope to get around 63% dress(882#carcass) and then package and grind from there will put you at around 600# of freezer beef-hamburger and steaks-roast etc.$1200+feed$1280+ cut and wrap$1400 is around $3880 or around $6.46 a #

Looks like everyone was fair to somewhat reality! maybe that store with a Usda stamp-Product of the U.S.A. came from here!

Edited by garvo 6/11/2022 08:25

(pencil_lead_closeup (full).jpg)

(sukarne (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments pencil_lead_closeup (full).jpg (11KB - 35 downloads)
Attachments sukarne (full).jpg (98KB - 32 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)