AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Selling beef privately
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

centralmnangus
Posted 6/11/2022 12:33 (#9700489 - in reply to #9700174)
Subject: RE: Selling beef privately

Ft. Ripley MN
$3.75 per lb hanging weight. Everything is included for that price and i deliver a finished product to you. We don’t do extras like fancy cuts or hotdogs. Just your normal steaks, burger, and roasts. If you have a specific size or weight per package we are usually a little flexible.

We just get a list from the customer on what they want, and the either it’s a half or a quarter. Drop off live animal and the lists. Pick up a a bunch of meat and we pay for everything. I drop the meat off and get a check for the hanging weight for what they wanted. The few we sell take halves. Maybe we should be charging more, not sure but our butcher costs are also half of what alot of you guys are posting.(in the past anyways, I didn’t read all the replies)

Have had a handful ask for just hamburger and they balk at the $5 a pound for that… not sure why! Burger from a steer that you know where it came from seems a little better then what you might get at the grocery store in my opinion. It doesn’t bother me a bit though.

We had a few long yearlings that weighed 1200 and they would hang at 810-830lbs. Rule of thumb is 62% hanging. I do believe you take hanging weight at 62% again and that’s the finished weight fully deboned. Like I said we sell everything at hanging weight, makes it simple and there is no questioning what’s what’s.

If it’s $6 a pound fully finished and deboned I think that’s in line. If it’s $6 hanging that might be on the high side. At the end of the day you know where that said animal came from.. it’s like buying s tractor from the neighbors, you know exactly what kind of life it had
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)