AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sleeping with Autosteer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 6/2/2009 22:12 (#730834 - in reply to #730417)
Subject: RE: Sleeping with Autosteer...I wonder really

Chebanse, IL.....

if there's more sleeping incidences with autosteer or not? Most modern tractors will go straight for quite a while depending on the operation. Having the autopilot probably makes the tractor go straighter, but it does in fact produce some kind of alarm when nearing the boundary (=end) of a field. If you doze off in an old 4430, there's no alarm that I know of. The Trimble & JD both have beeping noises that I'm familiar with. If you can sleep thru the JD warning, you're totally passed out anyway.

Probably the late fall-winter of '72 was the worst I heard of in this area. We had a couple of neighbors that were tying themselves onto the seats of open station tractors (JD 4010 etc) trying to get plowing done @ night while ground was somewhat firm (frozen) on top. It was such a wet fall that a lot of harvest & not much tillage got done. But anyway, guys were falling asleep & just tied themselves on so as to avoid falling off & getting plowed under.

I'm not sure we can blame the autopilots for accidents. Though I agree with others, instead of a beeper, why doesn't it just kick into neutral, or kill the engine totally? Though that may not be good if you suddenly awoke & then found you had no steering-brakes-hydraulics.

Get on an old IH M or JD A w/no power steering & plow/disc/field cultivate late & you probably won't fall asleep.

Also Ham, maybe it's just the picture I'm viewing, but I don't see a yellow gps globe on the leading edge of the cab. Is it there? IF not, is there in fact auto-anything?

Edited by Ron..NE ILL..10/48 6/2/2009 22:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)