AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

P&K + StripTill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 9/24/2008 15:47 (#468419 - in reply to #468387)
Subject: Re: P&K + StripTill

southern MN
The explination from you & Jim make pretty good sense on rented land, 1-3 year lease. No point putting more fert on than you need, and super concentrating it allows more to be used that year, so while application rates go down, available % in the root zone goes up. Makes sense. Don't need to supoply so much if you super concentrate it so more is available in a strip.

What is harder to understand is if you own the land, plan to farm it for the next 25 years.

The crop is going to take x amount of fert off every year.

You need to supply x amount every year.

The ground will balance that a little bit - you can mine some years, add extra some years - so the ground is a sponge in that way.

What happens 25 years from now?

I read you & Jim to be saying that applying 2/3 as much fertilizer in strips over the years will build up the soil to have more fertility available than if you just broadcast the full amount of fertilizer every other year.

That doesn't filter out right in my head? :)

In the concentraited strip, you use the background fert plus the heavy band to oversaturate the ground, and make a lot of available fert for that crop. Got it, makes sense.

Over the years, if you are only applying 2/3 as much total fertilizer, shouldn't the background value of fert drop off? That banding can still work, and still not need as much fert as a full broadcast - but the background amount of fert would need to drop?

I don't see how it can build & end up higher in 25 years, if you are only applying 2/3 of the rate. Your background rate of fert should be dropping as this process continues over decades?

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)