AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cultivating
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

briggsfm
Posted 2/15/2024 06:18 (#10623990 - in reply to #10623791)
Subject: RE: Cultivating

Scottville, 49454 Northwest Michigan

I've always questioned if "root pruning" is really a thing, if it's all that much of a big deal.   If it was.... why does the corn "perk up" after a cultivation?   Maybe root pruning is an issue.  I'm just not sure.

I suspect the biggest benefit to cultivation, other than eliminating unwanted weeds.... is introducing some oxygen into the soil.   That oxygen I suspect is why the corn experiences that boost in growth right after the cultivation.  This is why I think cultivating tighter, clay soils gives more responsive results, than cultivating sands.  

It's been awhile since we last cultivated corn.  Don't tell anyone, but we're thinking of going back to it.  Like in the past, we would include our side-dress, nitrogen/sulfur application with the cultivation.  Have always thought that was an ideal way to make that application.  Utilizing our Hiniker cultivator with sweeps, allowed us to get the fertilizer within a couple inches of the corn plants.  And unlike Y-dropping... the fertilizer is incorporated into the soil.  No need for a nitrogen stabilizer.  A bit of savings over Y-dropping.  That savings may not be enough to offset the speed of Y-dropping and lessor cost of operation thereof, but it is something.  And there is a certain comfort level knowing the nitrogen is under the soil surface.   We've had times that we didn't get rain for nearly two weeks after Y-dropping.  Have always feared that two weeks was too long to expect the stabilizer to protect and hold the nitrogen from loss.  

gordon

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)