AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tools needed to load a large Hereford bull into a trailer (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/10/2010 11:45 (#1308991)
Subject: Tools needed to load a large Hereford bull into a trailer (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I thought I'd list the tools needed to load a hesitant bull in a trailer for other less experienced cattle folks like me:

• bucket of sweet feed
  • lawn chair
  • beer, maybe 2
  • bug spray
  • NAT on my phone for reading material

I sold my Hereford bull and was trying to load him yesterday for the trip to his new home breeding a bunch of Angus cows. I hate to part with him but in a one-bull operation retaining heifers I can only keep him for so long.

Now my bull T21 weighs about 2200 lb but has a very gentle disposition. He has not been in a trailer since I bought him and I guess he is just a bit cautious.

I sorted T21, a cow and a heifer into the corral, tub and alley. I have a swinging door I made so that coming out of the chute I can pull a rope and divert them back to pasture or to the loading ramp and trailer.

Well the cow went through nicely to get things started and I diverted her back to pasture. The heifer came next and I thought I would put her in the trailer also to lead T21 on. 

The heifer moved nicely onto the trailer followed by T21 - until he got to the trailer door.  Even with the heifer in the trailer he would NOT step into that trailer. One of the joys of having livestock, I guess. I locked the swinging door behind him so he could not back up so there he is...

So moving to plan B I go around the side door of the trailer, open it up and let the heifer out the side so maybe he can see daylight and follow her.  Heifer comes out but bull still will not go in.   Now going to plan C I put a pile of sweet feed on the floor where he can reach it and he eats that up but will NOT step in to get the rest of it nor the pile of fresh green grass I have just out of his reach.

No amount of patting the rump of this over a ton bull seems to make any difference. He is there in the loading ramp and will not move. Very calm and gentle but just will not move.

I have this thing about never using a hotshot on my animals and don't own one but at this point my resolve was being tested. It is a hot sweaty afternoon and getting later. My very experienced neighbors kindly came over to help but same result...T21 would not step into the trailer.

My neighbor, whose advice (like my wife's) is almost always correct, suggested that T21 would have to step forward at some point that I just wait him out.

This is where the lawn chair, beer and NAT come in, along with some mosquito spray I might add.....

I tried to come up with a Plan D where I spread some sweet feed in to open side doorway, a couple of cows/heifers came over to lick it up but still T21 would not move!

I don't know if it was the beer or NAT that helped me control my temper but it doesn't do any good to get mad at a bull. So I sat down and read. Some of my cows thought this was very interesting as they stood watching this whole process.

Well, about 2 hours later I hear footsteps in the trailer and close the side and rear doors and he finally stepped on.  Just doesn't like to rush I guess. I snapped a couple pictures just so folks don't think I had too many beers relating this....

Maybe just a lesson in patience.  Anyway, T-21 is now at his new home. Here are a few pictures for fellow beginners who have to load bulls. Remember, lawn chair....

FWIW  Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 8/10/2010 13:13

(IMG_1650_Loading_T21_or_not_080910.JPG)

(IMG_1651_Loading_T21_or_not_080910.JPG)

(IMG_1649t_Loading_T21_or_not_tools_reqd_080910.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1650_Loading_T21_or_not_080910.JPG (67KB - 680 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1651_Loading_T21_or_not_080910.JPG (66KB - 635 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1649t_Loading_T21_or_not_tools_reqd_080910.jpg (83KB - 690 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)