AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tryed some No till Beans with the 800 cyclo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 5/6/2009 09:54 (#704729 - in reply to #704590)
Subject: Re: Tryed some No till Beans with the 800 cyclo

Aberdeen MS
Only to have it around 2 yrs later and double up with the bean plus the 2 yr old residue. Today's stalks don't degrade like those of old.

Not a "slam", just an observance. That's what I'm up against this year. It isn't so much dealing with what's left over from last year. One year's accumulation is simple to deal with. It's when you get the 2,3 and 4 yr build up that things start to get interesting.

Due to the early time frame this year, and the drier conditionss. I decided to give direct corn planting a shot. Fields that have been strip tilled for 4 yrs already. The heavy mat of bean PLUS 07 stalks (was all triple stack in 07), the ground just isn't drying out. The increased residue plus tacky ground was giving the strip tiller fits earlier. A few "untimely" occurrences that held me back a couple days.....and an untimely .2" inch of rain, put conditions just right yesterday that one gauge wheel on the 7100 was constantly plugging.

After seeing "what is" this spring, it's my belief that after about 4 yrs of accumulation "here", a well placed match is probably going to be the best solution to continue long term. When you leave heaps of residue almost 8 - 10" deep in between the rows of the planter and still leaving a tad of stuff over the row and the ground underneath is past wet....it's actually "mushy wet", not sure my patience and hope for another week of dry is going to be beneficial for best yield potential this fall.

I'm going to put a new tire on that gauge wheel and cross fingers that takes care of the "fits" for that one.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)