AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

3406 B
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CATGUY
Posted 4/21/2009 21:45 (#688753 - in reply to #687881)
Subject: RE: 3406 B

Iowa
I agree that the fuel transfer pump is probably shot(internal check valves are probably damaged). They can be rebuilt with seals and check valves, but no one really does it anymore. I bet it has been 5 years since I have done one. There are three one-way check valves, one sits in the inlet housing( remove fitting and knock it out with a punch), second one just sits in the plunger(under the spring and washer) and it is easy to change. Now, that 3rd S.O.B.(check valve) is countersunk deeply into the main housing and if it has the newer style one-way tooth washer behind it, it is a big PITA. This one valve is why most people buy a reman transfer pump! You better have a good assortment of tools, like cotter pin hook tool, lip seal puller with hammer tapping area, really big channel locks, etc. Even if you get it out, you need to modify a 3/8" drive, 3/4" thin-wall 12 pt. socket by grinding out some of the 12 pt. internal teeth. This modified socket, plus an 3/8" extension, is now your "insertion tool" for the 1st and the 3rd check valve. They have to be pounded into there bores, AND they MUST be in the CORRECT DIRECTION for fuel to flow. Also it is pretty easy to break the tappet, that rides on the fuel injection pump cam lobe, IF you accidently drop it while you are fighting the check valves. Then you will be buying a reman pump anyways.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)