AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Semi transmission gear patterns?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RodInNS
Posted 4/21/2009 17:25 (#688487 - in reply to #687537)
Subject: RE: Semi transmission gear patterns?

I've found that with RoadRanger's, it's helpfull to keep a couple things in mind. Every one I've seen has 5 gears per range... and two.... RoadRanger 'speeds' are determined by the actual number of usefull ratios in the transmission, not the number of holes on the stick.

What you're calling a 13 speed behind the jimmy is probably an RT6613 or perhaps a bit higher torque rating of the same thing. It's been around since father time was in diapers. I think of it more as a 15 speed that only uses 3 holes in deep...

The way I sort Rangers out is by their air shift clutch/range.

The 9 speed and 10 speed are the two most basic transmissions. The 9 speed is called such because LOW is a much lower ratio than '1' would be in a 10 speed... and when you shift to the high side, 'Low' is actually a lower ratio than '4'... so there's really only 9 effective ratios. It goes L,1,2,3,4--5,6,7,8,9. wheras the 10 speed... all ratios are an even step upwards and all are used. 10 speeds generally do not have a low hole unless they've got deep rear ends.

Next you get into versions with air shifted deep reductions. These are the 8LL (8 Low, Low) and the 15. The 15 simply has 3 ranges with deep having an air shift. When I drove a 15 (which is what I learned on), I started off in 1 deep, get up some speed (not much), preselect the blue button and let off the fuel. She'll hop out, then I was off in 1 low... then run it like a 10.
The 8LL is a 9 speed with the air low hole range like the 15. The only difference is that you don't run the other 4 in deep. You start in Low,Low on the button, pop it out like the 15, then drive it like a 9. These all have 3 reverse ratios.
A modern 8LL will have a blue button on the front of the stick and the range on the right side. The 15 will have the range on the front and the blue button on the left side.

The next variant is the 'real' 13 and the 18. Those have a half gear split which is done with a red button on the left side of the stick. The 13 only splits the high side. The 18 splits every gear. Either one, if you choose, an be driven like a 9 as that's all they are.... a 9 with a half gear splitter on an air shift clutch.
Don't confuse THIS 13 with the older 3 range 13 that you have.
If you were selling your truck to me, and called that thing a 13, and I drove 8 hours to see it.... I'd not be happy.
My buddy looked at one of them a couple weeks ago.... We drive all night to find an old jalopy with a 6613, not a '13'. WE went. WE looked. We left.
Blue buttons seem to denote 'deep reduction' and red buttons a half gear split.

The other variant is the 'Super' 10. That's a 5 speed with a splitter, not unlike the old trucks with Ruxel. With this you obtain the privledge of splitting every gear unless you're bob tailing... or have a 550 in front of it. I beleive the split is half a gear, like a 13 except you have no range shift.
It's a cheap, simple transmission... and not a drivers transmission.
Eaton has a great deal of information on this subject on their roadRanger website if you care to sift through it all.

Rod
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)