AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Land Rental Ethics-How do you guys add acres?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Flyover Country
Posted 4/16/2009 20:39 (#682856 - in reply to #682814)
Subject: Re: Land Rental Ethics-How do you guys add acres?

CIL
And if I may say, 7150, I find you to be extremely decent and honest (as far as I can tell).  Like you, I wish every single farmer the best of success, because far too many have already passed out of business.  The heart of the matter is that farming exists in a strange balance between business and lifestyle, perhaps in a way that no other profession does.  Farming lives in that grey area where issues of morality and business become intertwined in an often-volatile fashion.  But I look at this way...a family restaurant can easily co-exist side by side with a faceless, national competitor.  It is not an issue of morality there. One succeeds, both succeed or both fail.  It is what it is.  That is why I say business is amoral.  It does not pick winners and losers based on morality...it picks them based on competitive success.  If the world were fair, there'd be no need for a capitalist economy and we'd all be living in harmony.  But we don't, and competitive capitalism is the best system for ensuring that most of the time, the right people come out ahead.  When a body of people take it on themselves to ensure that everyone is made whole and the world is fair...well, we call that Marxism.  The best a man like yourself, or myself, can do is to work and live in such a way as our conscience and our God sees fit.  Based on your posts here, I'd guess you to be a good human being, and quite likely a good businessman.  Both are important, but only the first one truly matters when all is said and done.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)