AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

jd 1890 lubrication
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 4/15/2009 19:33 (#681593 - in reply to #681536)
Subject: For what it's worth.

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
My very early 750 drills originally were set up to grease every joint including opener arm pivot at the rock shaft, closer wheel and firming wheels.
I bought both drills well used and found that greasing had been ignored except for the opener disc hub.
The joints at the rock shaft and closer wheel arms were worn out after 10 years of many many acres. I replaced the rock shaft to opener arm bushings and pins with the newer design used when they no longer greased them . The "dry" pins appeared to be triple thickness chrome and the bushings made of a different material that may have some self lubricating properties.
The closer arms are the very early style that did not have replaceable pins and bushings, just a steel pin welded into the arm and a hole drilled in the cast opener arm. Those old opener arms do not have enough metal around the closer arm holes to drill them for the thick bushings JD used on the later drills. I reworked the closer wheel arms so the later bolt on pins fit, and drilled the opener arm holes so I could install
1/16 wall oilite bronze bushings. The bolt on closer arm pins appear to have a hard graphite like coating for self lubrication.

It's been 5 seasons since I did this conversion, where I grease only the disc opener hubs and firming wheel arms. The opener mount pins/bushings and closer arms run dry.
None of the "run dry" converted stuff has had any seizing or wear problems.

My experience on these Deere drills is that the pivot points need to either be run totally free of grease /oil with self lubrication bushings, or OVER GREASED every 20 hours to keep the dirt flushed out.

This is in clay / loam soil that has not seen a tillage tool since 94, your soil and tillage system may produce different results.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)