AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Close Calls
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

billybob
Posted 11/3/2006 21:30 (#57840 - in reply to #57831)
Subject: Corn husking bed.

A fellow seed grower was cleaning out the back of a New Idea husking bed. Changing over to a different variety. As he reached into the back of the machine where the elevator was to get the last ear of corn his hand was caught between two husking rollers. He was alone. He was able to get his coat off and feed the coat into the machine to cause the rollers to spread enough to pull his hand out. He has his little finger and thumb left on his left hand is all.

Learned to fly one year. Did it all from November to May, cool dry air. Great lift. The instructor and I the first 15 hrs or so. Then solo.

First trip I took was with a neighbor and our 2 sons to go tour a machine plant in Kansas during the month of June. Late June. Good warm day. I did the weight and balance and we were under max. load cap. I used 95 % of the length of that runway. Learned a lot that day. All student should be required to fly a "full" plane before getting their licence.

Same flight. We were over the middle of Kansas. Nothing but grass. We were just commenting on how it was so wide open and nothing around. My friend looks out his right window and say, " Isn't that a plane." I looked and sure enough it was. This time I knew what to do. Take evasive action. Just as soon as I could I pushed the yoke full forward, as I reduced the throttle. One second later I looked up and to the right and here it came right over the top of us. I and the other plane were on correct altitudes. You just need to keep your eyes open up there. An airplane traveling at 150 knots can come into your sight, if it is head on to you, and you will collide in about 3-5 seconds from first sight, if you each are traveling 150 knots.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)