AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Close Calls
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 11/3/2006 10:45 (#57705 - in reply to #57680)
Subject: Re: Close Calls

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Have done all the dumb stuff through the years,and was lucky enough to get by with it. Two that really stick in my mind was being about 8 years old and riding on the back of a two wheel trailer full of fencing supplies which dad was pulling with the tractor. Dad had an extra 20 + ft piece of barb wire hooked to the rear of the trailer which he was dragging to the next break in the fence. well,we hit a bump and I was tossed off the rear of the trailer onto the moving barb wire. Cut me from chin to ear like a chain saw. just lucky no barbs cut deep enough to let all the blood out. I have worn a beard since I was old enough to grow one to cover the scars.
Another was unloading grain with the pto grain auger. The intake guard had been removed years before,as wet sunflower will not flow through a guard. I was unloading a truck load of wheat when a neighbor drove up and had his 3 year old girl with him. I was unloading grain as we talked,and I reached into the auger hopper to grab a handful of wheat to toss into my mouth as I had done a hundred times before. Moments later when talking to the guy,I saw out of the corner of my eye,too late to do anything,the little 3 year old imitating my action of grabbing some grain,put her tiny hand into the grain an inch from the exposed spinning flighting. Nothing happened,but it sure put a chill down my spine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)