AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pros and cons of front mounted spray booms
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 11/3/2006 22:32 (#57862 - in reply to #57686)
Subject: RE: You could'nt pay me enough to own a front mount...

Chebanse, IL.....

Don

Do you have a rear mount boom sprayer that doesn't leave tracks? Might be on a Cessna, Thrush, or Ag Cat plane?

I guess I've never known anyone that's had chemical poisoning from spraying. I assume it's more prevalant for other areas (judging from Dutch's story)? We did have a neighbor that got sick a few yrs back from loading granular insecticide in a planter. But, that's a way of life here-we load tons & tons of skull & crossbones granular into planter every spring. Never known anyone that got chem poisoning from spraying. We've had lots of neighbors get killed in tractor accidents, semi accidents, bin accidents, lots more permanently maimed from mechanical accidents....tractors fall of jacks, a semi endgate propped up in a shed that fell over & crushed a guy, same deal another time killed a child. These are all in recent years....don't have to go very far back.

But-I've never known anyone that's had chemical poisoning from operating sprayer, regardless of boom position. I've had lots of friends & acquaintences die of cancer, we all have sadly.....some have never seen a sprayer nor were they associated w/farming.

Maybe chem poisoning & cancers from spraying is more prevalant in other areas. Probably just the "here" thing. I won't be so bold to say that ag spraying doesn't have it's dangers. But I'm guessing the chances of temporary or permanent injuries may turn out to be due more to mechanical than chemical factors.

Also-the front windshield on my Hagie hardly ever needs cleaning. There probably are some drawbacks to front mount booms. Corrosion from UAN may be one of them. But, most of the floaters I see are rear mount booms & they can be pretty well rusted up too.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)