AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

looking for a combine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CVA Farm
Posted 2/5/2009 09:25 (#597457 - in reply to #596991)
Subject: RE: looking for a combine

NE S.Dakota
We had a 1440 that served us for 25 years, we ran 5-600 acres of corn 5-600 beans, and 2-300 acres of wheat with that combine. Repairs were minimal.

Last year I bought an IH corn planter from a guy, who had run Gleaners for years, he had just gotten a 1460, in the last 2 seasons, He said "I really do not miss all the parts runs I made with the Old Gleaners."

Anyhow, my old 1440 went to a guy who does about 50 acres of corn. He runs a pheasant hunting operation and harvests his corn in March. he had been borrowing renting etc. But was tired of having farmers complain about his "off season" harvest.

1420-1440 I don't think either one would be a bad choice. Mine sold for $10,000, we paid $29,000 in 1982. Heads are readily available, the older rotor is not as hard on the straw, but also does not spread it real well.

One of the problems that I would recommend keeping up on is: rear wheel bearings, keep em packed , keep the lug bolts tight on the rears.

The IH diesel engine served us well, no engine repairs in 25 years, it would go through a couple quarts of oil in a tank of fuel, but a tank of fuel will do your whole harvest.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)