AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

looking for a combine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Plotski
Posted 2/4/2009 20:09 (#596706 - in reply to #596683)
Subject: Re: looking for a combine

Massachusetts
Jon Hagen - 2/4/2009 07:55

You got lots of good advice. I would get one of the most popular model combine sold in your area and the make / model that is still in use in the greatest number.
That will be the one that the dealer sells the most parts for and likely will continue to stock parts for it for atleast a few more years. Do check your dealer / dealers for that brand and see if they do infact have most parts for that machine. I run two 1480 IH combines that are 78 and 81 models, one big reason those old machines are still here with no thought to replacing them is that the parts supply is very good.

Like I said, get the most popular model in your area, for the best chance of future parts avalibility.
In my area, the 1460 IH outsold all the larger and smaller models by likely a 10/1 ratio. New and used parts are plentyfull "here".

I'm in a similar position as the OP. There are really no 'popular' model combines around here. I am going to grow about 40 acres of grain corn next year. I'd also like to be able to custom combine some small grains for a few neighbors. There is maybe two guys who would combine it for me. Or I can get an older 1970s combine and do it myself.

I am thinking Gleaner F or maybe M.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)