AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hopper trailer - 102vs96 & 66vs72?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 2/5/2009 10:36 (#597523 - in reply to #596106)
Subject: RE: Hopper trailer - 102vs96 & 66vs72?

We've got a 78x102 and a 78x96 most of the time we have to look specifically at other things on the trailer to know which one we've got behind us. It's hard to tell by looking the mirror. Our routes are too varied to notice a fuel difference of 2 or 3 tenths, wind will make twice that difference.

I will agree no ag hoppers they are a pita.

SBM is not a problem on any size trailer, it is just a little lighter than grain. DDG's are a lot lighter. With our 78x102 we can get about 54000 on if we get them piled up and shook down a little. With the 96" trailer we can only get about 50,000 on and unless you are really heavy that won't get a legal load on.

Hopefully you've got an air ride tractor, put guages on it and I would not buy a trailer that was not on air and you can get loaded pretty close with just a little practice.

As for singles or duals. I know a lot of companies going to them, but the only two independents I know that pull hoppers who switched both switched back the next time they traded. Claimed they didn't save that much in weight and the downside of being dead in the water with a flat that could have been nursed to a shop if they had duals outweighed the advantages. They both said that when they were loading on the farm with singles on the tractor they could not even pull out in a waterway if it was dry because they would spin out on the green grass.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)