AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iowa Grain Truck Photo!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 10/2/2006 14:16 (#48258 - in reply to #48130)
Subject: I used to haul like that.

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

Only I had DMI 300 bu behind my 4x4 pickup.  Thought I was plenty smart, avoiding the cost of a big truck, plates, and insurance.  After sliding through several stop signs because the wagon was pushing me (no brakes) I bought a gooseneck, some problems there also that I won't go into right now.  Finally found a well-used semi, much safer and faster way to haul, but with many downsides of license, insurance, and different driver license regulations.

Some are saying that the wagon should have brakes, that isn't the only answer.  Most wagon brakes are surge brakes, which don't work if you have to stop on a hill.  Our area has had some real train wrecks when someone had to stop on a hill going up, and the truck or tractor couldn't hold the load from going backwards.  Thankfully nobody has been hurt yet, but there has been some big property damage, and if someone would have been behind the wagons in a car or school bus, things would have gone downhill in more ways than one.

I remember Dave Morgan talking over and over when we were in Iowa about how close all the elevators are, some places we were you could see over four from one location.  However, when I bought a semi, my bids got better from the local elevator, as they knew I could well go farther down the road very easily, so sometimes it pays to have good grain transportation even if you don't need it for distance.

In Illinois, the police are starting to crack down on axle weights on wagons and grain carts, something they didn't do in the past.  That is another consideration before selling the trucks and buying wagons.

Just because you have cheap grain transportation, it doesn't mean it is the best way to do it.  The cheap way could well be the most expensive, should something turn bad for you.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)