AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybeans in Western Canada
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

SaptonAcres
Posted 11/25/2008 02:35 (#516073 - in reply to #513257)
Subject: RE: Soybeans in Western Canada

Hazelridge, Mb
Daylate

a few replies to your questions from a Manitoba view. I'm located roughly 25 miles NE of Winnipeg.

Should I blacken the ground before planting? What should the ground temp be before starting? Does it depend on soil or temp?

-The general rule in Manitoba is if you can pull your pants down and sit on the ground with your bare butt for more that ten minutes the ground is warm enough to plant. In all honesty, you want to see the ground temperature be around 10 degrees Celsius. What many guys here do is start planting after lunchtime. This gives the ground a bit of time to warm up from the overnight coolness. Beans do much better if there are planting into warm ground. if planted too cool, they will just sit in the ground and do nothing until it get warm enough for them to grow. There is even some theories out there that the temperature of first bit of water imbibed by the seed can affect germination and vigour. That is why some guys wait till after lunch to seed. Black ground is nice to have but if your region is moisture limiting, you really want to conserve as much water as you can to get that seed to germinate at a shallow seed depth.

How deep do you plant them?

I never plant them deeper than 3/4 of an inch probably closer to 1/4-1/2 inch Usually we are not moisture limiting in this area and can usually expect a rain around the May long weekend, when most beans are either 1/2 to almost done seeding. I like to see a few bean on top of the ground, My belief is that you need to get these bean out of the ground as fast as you can so that they can start using energy from the sun rather the seed.

What is the seeding rate?

For short seasoned soybeans the general rule of thumb is 200,000-220,000 live plants per acre. In potential moisture deficient areas might want to bump that up to 240-250,000 plant. As stated else where in the thread, beans love their moisture, especially with heat. But if you get just heat and little moisture (drought conditions), the plant might die prematurely compared to an area with adequate to excess moisture. That is where adding a few more plant per acres can help keep your yield potential up. Seeding rate also depends on seed size. Many early seasoned varieties are in that 3000-3400 seeds per pound, which @ 200,000 ppa, would be a seed rate of about 65-75 lbs.

Will the seed split going through a regular air seeder like peas sometimes do?

-Keep your fan speed down to a reasonable level and you shouldn't split. Generally keep ground speed to under 6.5 mph. This allows for a slower fan speed to keep the stream moving, plus allows for more uniform seeding at shallower depths.

Can I grow them on Canola stubble? How susceptible to sclerotinia are they?

couple things here? Is it RR canola stubble. if it is be ready to spray a Express prior to soybean emergence or Odyssey or
Reflex (min 10 Gal of water because it is a contact) as an in-crop treatment. Had good luck with Reflex at a half rate, with 1 l/ac (old rate) Glyphosate, but applied at 10 Cdn gallons of water because reflex is a contact herbicide.

Canola stubble shouldn't be much of and issue, especially if you do not have much risk of sclerotinia in your canola already. For Sclerotinia to show up in beans would have to be a fairly wet season and unseasonable cool. I would not worry about sclerotinia control either because these types of soybeans we are growing up here are indeterminate, which means, they start flowering is triggered by the summer solstice, and will continue flowering until they reach full maturity. In other words they flower all season long and this makes timing difficult, plus the size of a soybean flower is close to 1/8 the size of a canola flower and makes for a difficult infection point and fungicide contact point. Don't get me wrong it can happen, as we had a few varieties this year had black bodies show up in the sample. But we unseasonably cool with our seasonably wet weather.

Is it true they grow according to daylight growing hours as appossed to corn with heat units?

Yes and no. They need their heat to grow, what happens is that the further north we go the longer our daylight periods are. This can allow some varieties to accumulate more heat units because it is warmer into the night longer. Some varieties can be photosensitive for maturity meaning that once they sense the daylight shortening, they begin to mature quicker. But they still need their heat and moisture to make pods and seeds for yield.

Feel free to contact me via email [email protected] if you have any more questions, Also look at this website, www.seedmb.ca it is our seed bible in Manitoba. Go to the digital edition and head to page 52-53 that is the RR variety listing.

Edited by SaptonAcres 11/25/2008 02:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)