AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Combining deeper fall tillage with spring strip till in Illinois (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/21/2008 22:25 (#513114 - in reply to #513094)
Subject: Re: Combining deeper fall tillage with spring strip till in Illinois (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Paul,

This is where the double gage wheels (as you point out) and the airbag down pressure system come in very handy.

With the airbags you just go up to a single knob on the end of the bar and can completely change the performance of the machine in a minute.  We carried a small shop bottle to recharge the bags.

Yesterday in the course of our demo/trials we ran various air pressures as low as zero and as high as 70 psi. In one corn field it was so wet and the soil betwen the rows so soft from previous tillage we actually ran zero pressure. The 650 lb weight of each row unit on the double gage wheels was plenty.

We also changed the row cleaner depth setting quite a bit. I was wishing I'd brought my driver drill setup from my truck into the field. We found a range of settings that seemed to work well.

It seems that once folks understand the interaction of air bag down pressure, Trashwheel depth, angle of attack (levelness), and gage wheel setting, they can pretty much cover a wide range of conditions fall or spring.

How did your customer's field turn out (spring Pluribus over fall nh3/tillage)?

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)