AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? about liming no-till ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rebuilder
Posted 11/21/2008 13:22 (#512723 - in reply to #512677)
Subject: RE: Spread it & forget it!

Bourbon,Indiana

Have spread up to 5t in a couple of trouble spots with no problem, and 3t many times. I don't like to make extra passes, so if it calls for high tonnage, I put it on up to about 5t. This is no-till. One point is I have been spreading High cal with a very fine grind. I like to spread over frozen corn stalks, but have also spread in standing corn when I get behind some years. Fine grinds will dissolve into the soil solution quickly and move through the soil with the water as others have said. A coarse grind would take more time (years) to dissolve so you would have a graduated release.  I have never seen any problems, even watching the 5t areas for Mn deficiency etc. Your biggest concern(my biggest concern) should be any residual herbicides which can be affected by high Ph, (canopy being one.) My main reason for the high rates was I started using grid sampling by soil type and found dad had not kept up on the liming. P & K  are built up to high levels, which is really helping me out now. After 8 years, I have most of my fields 6.8-7.5 ph range and the maps(zones) look nice & even. So in the future I will most likely use 2t as an avg rate.

As others will probably tell you, lime can be the most cost affective soil amendment this year. I have seen tremendous amounts of lime being put on in place of P&K. So if your tests show you need lime, it will be cheaper, and will actually bring more nutrients into availability for your crop.

edit: I should add, this works on my soil types here in northern Indiana, I'm not sure if the same would apply in Tn.

Edited by rebuilder 11/21/2008 13:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)