AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

grid sampleing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GTD
Posted 10/29/2008 22:17 (#493730 - in reply to #492918)
Subject: RE: grid sampling...I've never understood

Effingham, IL
dko_scOH - 10/28/2008 19:42
  • Begin collecting yield data as soon as possible. Back it up; keep it safe.
  • Sample intensively. Pick high points, low points, sandy ridges -- anywhere yields may be expected to peak or tank. This is analogous to making a topo map in that sampling average areas won't tell you as much.
  • Address deficiencies, if you have them, by spreading to soil test recs. Draw down excessively high areas if you want during this time.
  • After the obvious deficiencies are taken care of (about five years), fertilize based on removal.
  • Sample again. We used to save enough in lime application to pay for the testing. That was back before P and K tripled in price.

I couldn't agree with you more. One thing I've always advocated is sample frequency. The more samples you pull, the more accurate the data will be. Of course there is a point where the expense outweighs the benefit, but a person should pull as many samples as they can afford.

I'm planning on posting up an example of a zone analysis that I have done. I think it's important for people to see just how far off zone sampling can be.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)