AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Make prescriptions onyour own or hire a professional?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 10/23/2008 00:26 (#488724 - in reply to #488109)
Subject: RE: Make prescriptions onyour own or hire a professional?

Colby, Kansas
Millhouse,

I think the first thing you need to do, before deciding who is going to make the prescriptions, is what your thoughts are about how you want to manage. Are you going to do some soil testing in conjunction with your yield maps, are you going to set spatially variable yield goals, etc.

"A couple of large coops have taken yield data off cards and done the prescriptions for lots of area producers." I think its important regardless rather you do it yourself or have it hired, its important to be able to answer the questions of "how did you come up with the prescription" and "does it make sense from an engineering (can it actually be applied the way I want), agronomic (is this right for the situation), and economic (will it pay) standpoints.

The most important thing to remember is that NO ONE knows more about your field and your situation than you, so its important to understand and agree with whats being prescribed. I get nervous when service providers can magically turn yield maps into prescriptions with little input from the producer.

There is a lot of good experience on this forum, and a lot of different ways were going about things. If you post some of your thoughts or what your thinking about it would hopefully start some good discussion.

I'm hoping this winter when folks have some more time and the day to day tech support type stuff settles down, we can have some good threads on here about precision ag management and what different people are doing.

Regards,
Lucas

Edited by LHaag 10/23/2008 00:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)