AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rental termination
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nei
Posted 10/2/2008 00:37 (#473460)
Subject: rental termination

I have a question of something that I have never heard of before, so I thought I'd ask the experts... before getting too far... yes, lesson learned... Get a signed Rental Contract.

I have a small peice of ground that is going to be enrolled into some CRP program for 2009. Long story short, I'm doing this out of being a good neighbor, as the land lord didn't give eviction notice until Sept 19, well beyond the Sept 1 date for automatic rental renewal in Iowa. Its only 9 acres of marginal land.... However, the land lord also wants me to till the ground upon leaving so they can get a 'jump' on planting trees next year with warmer soil... In his words "the standard rental termination practice of leaving the fields tilled (meaning disked) at the end of the term."

My question is... is this some good 'ol boys practice that hasn't been done in 50 years? The ground is in Soybeans this year, and in the North East part of Iowa, we can get some decent snow that will take care of any of that pesky topsoil that I have been trying to save for him over the years during the spring thaw. I have no problem custom chiseling it for him if that is what he wants, but I feel no obligation to do it for free - thoughts?

any and all comments welcome, thanks in advance
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)